Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ser Autónomo: Modelo 37 & TA.0521/1

The low-down on how I became a self-employed TEFL Teacher in Spain. A Gestor (look for gestoría or asesoría in the phonebook) will charge a good 70€ for doing the paper-and-leg-work to register you as autónomo - you can do it yourself.

This is what I found out... they are only guidelines, don´t take it as bible as things change and you should always ask along the way to make sure it fits you and your circumstances!:

Modelo 037

Firstly, you can download the necessary form (modelo) from the Agencia Tributaria (or you´ll have to pay for them on the spot!). You will need to complete the Mod 037 to register with the Censos as autónomo (dar la alta), change your details, or when you cease to be self-employed (dar la baja). As is usual with legal forms, they are largely impenetrable, even when armed with a good dictionary! You can download the instructions which help a little and I completed the obvious (name, address, etc.) then asked for help as I went along to the local Agencia Tributaria and Tesoreria General de la Seguridad Social (both open weekday mornings 8.30-14.00). In the end there were many sections that didn´t need completing; here are the ones that did for me:

Modelo 037
  • 101 (NIE Tarjeta de Residencia)
  • 102 Surname, Name
  • 111 Alta X
  • 2 Identificación: Domicilio fiscal en España
  • 3 IRPF
  • 600 Alta 602 Fecha
  • 609 Estimación directa simplificada 650 Fecha
  • 4 IVA 501 "SI" (teaching is free of value-added tax)
6 Declaración A) Actividad
  • 402 "826"
  • 404 "A05"
B) Lugar
  • 413...421 Dirección (home address)
  • 422 "10" m2 (my office space at home)
  • 424 Alta X 425 Fecha

Then print and sign. There are two copies, one for you (contribuyente) and one for administration, you have to take these to your local Agencia Tributaria Censos Desk, they stamp them. Ask for "etiquetas", stickers with your bar code to be stuck on your tax returns. then you need to take a photocopy of your copy along to the local Tesorería. I print a third copy so you don´t need to find a photocopy shop in between.

OBVIOUSLY, take your NIE/Tarjeta de Residencia/passport/work permit and a PHOTOCOPY of it. Take a passport photo with you too, just in case. It´s a pain when you think you´ve got everything sorted and you have to go away and come back with a photocopy, count yourself lucky if they do it for you!


For the Tesorería take your copy and a photocopy of Mod 037 and you need to complete the TA.0521/1 Solicitud Simplificada which is your Social Security cover.


1 Datos de Solicitante: Name, address, Social Security Number.
2 Datos Relativos a Solicitud:
  • Alta X Fecha
3 Datos Relativos a la Actividad Profesional:
  • 3.2 "826"
6 1.6 X Domicilio

7 Datos Para la Domiciliación del Pago de Cuotas
  • Bank details, NIE
4 Opciones
  • 4.1 Base Mínima X
  • 4.2 Mutua No. (If you are ill, they cover you. In the Tesorería they listed the Mutuas and I chose one I knew was in my town.)
Print and sign.

Now you are registered as self-employed you will pay monthly social security (automatically deducted from your bank account) and have to do the quarterly IRPF tax return Modelo 130, which will be discussed next.

NOTE: The date you put for the alta/baja is for the date when you started work/finished, it doesn´t have to be the same date as when you do all the paperwork. When you need to unregister yourself (typically in August) you go through exactly the same process, this time marking the baja boxes.


Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!! Reading this has been the most enormous help. I thought I was going to have to give in and pay someone to do it for me...but I don't think that will be necessary now!:)

Eleanor said...

Thank you from me also ......... this is a massive help!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a miiiiiiiiiiiiillllliooooon!!!

..... said...

Thank you very much, this was very useful when I signed up earlier this year.